Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Summer Squash & Zucchini with Sweet Turkey Sausage

'Tis the season for yummy summer veggies from the garden & farmers' market.  Two of my favorites are summer squash & zucchini.  Childhood memories take me back to summers spent at the camper with my Grannie Annie & her breaded, fried zucchini.  I would scarf that stuff down.  This recipe uses the zucchini that I love, but uses a lighter, healthier preparation.  

1 large zucchini cut into thin half-moons
1 large summer (yellow) squash cut into thin half-moons
1 large yellow onion, sliced thin
1 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper to taste

Heat EVOO in a large skillet on medium high heat.  Add all ingredients & stir occasionally until veggies are softened, but not mushy.  Approx. 10 minutes.

*You could stop right here & enjoy this as a fresh side dish, but I took the next step & added lean, low-sodium turkey sausage that I had browned & cut into rounds to make this a full-on dinner!*

Added bonus, my oldest is not a huge fan of squash, but since he helped me prepare this dish he was super proud & scarfed it down, no fuss!




No comments:

Post a Comment