This recipe started out as putting a little bit of this & a handful of that into the pot & turned out to be super delicious! All four of the kids asked for more...I'd call that kid approved!
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground turkey, browned
1 Tbls. extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 large carrots, sliced thinly
2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced thinly
1/2 cup lentils
1 cup frozen spinach
1 box low sodium chicken broth
2 cups water
1 Tbls. ground cumin
a dash of ground cinnamon
a dash of ground ginger
sea salt & fresh ground black pepper to taste
1)Brown ground turkey in a large soup pot. Remove meat from pot once it is browned.
2) Sautee onion & garlic for 1-2 mins. in extra virgin olive oil. Add in carrots & sweet potatoes & sautee an additional 1-2 mins.
3) Add in browned ground turkey.
4) Cover with chicken broth & water.
5) Add in lentils & spinach. Add additional water if needed to cover all ingredients.
6) Stir in cumin, cinnamon, ginger, sea salt, & pepper.
7) Bring soup to a boil for 1-2 mins. Stir well, cover, & lower heat. Simmer approx. 45 minutes.