Oatmeal is a breakfast staple in our house. It is quick, easy, & versatile. Oatmeal is heart-healthy & a good source of soluble fiber. Oatmeal is also low on the glycemic index, which means it will not spike your blood sugar.
The key is to stay away from those packets of flavored oatmeal that contain added sugar & other additives that you don't need or want in your healthy diet.
This oatmeal pizza recipe was a great way to switch up the breakfast routine but still get the awesome benefits of oatmeal.
-1 ripe banana
-1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or coconut milk, almond coconut milk, cashew milk)
-1 large egg
-1 cup old fashioned oats
-1 Tbls. baking powder
-1 Tbls. ground flaxseed
-1 tsp. ground cinnamon
-1 cup berries (today we used sliced strawberries & blueberries)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spread 1 Tbls. coconut oil on the bottom of a large round cake pan
3. Mash banana with a fork in mixing bowl.
4. Add egg & almond milk to mashed banana. Combine.
5. Add in dry ingredients & mix until well combined.
6. Pour mixture into greased cake pan & spread evenly.
7. Sprinkle berries on top.
8. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
*9. While the oatmeal pizza is baking you can mix up a protein rich dipping sauce with 3 simple ingredients. See the directions below!*
Greek Yogurt Dipping Sauce
a. Place 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt in a small bowl.
b. Add 1 tsp. raw honey (use local honey if you can find it in your area) & a sprinkle of ground cinnamon.
c. Mix well.
10. Remove oatmeal pizza from the oven & allow to cool in the pan on a wire rack for approximately 10 minutes.
11. Use an offset spatula to loosen the edges of the oatmeal pizza from the sides of the pan. Cut gently & remove a wedge. Serve with Greek yogurt dipping sauce (optional).