Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Healthy, satisfying snacks

Folks often think that snacking is a bad thing...but if you want to keep your metabolism burning all day, snacking is actually a GOOD idea.  The key is making HEALTHY snack choices, sticking to proper portion sizes, & not eating too frequently.

Ideally, you should be eating every 2 1/2 - 3 hours throughout the day.  So instead of 3 big meals, you are having 5-6 smaller meals / snacks spread out throughout the day. 

Here is an example of what that might look like for a day:


sample meal plan
Monday
Workout
Max 30
Cardio Challenge
Breakfast
Shakeology
AM Snack
egg white oatmeal (1 red, 1 yellow) with apples
Lunch
salad, left-over steak, dressing, clementine
PM Snack
cucumbers, homemade clean eating black bean dip
Dinner
baked cod, mixed veggies, brown rice

I look at my nutritional needs as a whole for the day / week when I am planning.  I generally plan my meals first & then use my snacks to fill in any gaps, like needing to fit in another serving of vegetables.

I also like to keep my snacks simple to grab & go, as well as kid-friendly - because when my kids see me snacking they almost always want to join in!

Some of my favorite go-to snacks:
*apple & 12 almonds
*cucumbers / carrots & hummus or black bean dip
*mini bell peppers & string cheese
*plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries & cinnamon
*apple nachos
*Shakeology
*multigrain unsalted rice cakes with all natural nut butter & fresh berries or banana slices
*hard boiled eggs & fresh vegetables
*air popped popcorn & raisins

Multi-grain unsalted rice cake, 1 Tbls. all natural peanut butter (only ingredient is peanuts!), fresh strawberry slices, & a sprinkling of Chia seeds...take a ride down to flavor town.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment