Thursday, August 7, 2014

International Travel with Four Children....and other crazy things we've done this summer

As a child my family vacations consisted of going camping at my Grandma's trailer near Shawnee Lake, renting a cabin near Pymatuning, PA (where ducks walk on fish, baby!), and every once in a while we made a venture to the beach where we usually were tent camping.  I loved every minute of it (well, maybe not that time in rained every night at Virginia Beach & we had to keep taking the sleeping bags to laundry mats to dry out...) But I would not trade those vacation memories for the world.  We laughed, we cooked s'mores & mountain pies over the campfire, we went fishing & swimming in the lake, we played board games & cards for hours on end, and went on adventures.


My children have had the opportunity to go on many vacations & adventures as well but on a more global scale.  My hubby is BLESSED with a job where he has the opportunity to earn trips to destinations around the world as part of his compensation.  I did not have a passport until I was married, my kids have more passport stamps than many people will collect in their entire lives....they are very lucky children & I remind them of this frequently.

This summer we had the opportunity to travel to Dublin, Ireland.  Now before I can tell you about our amazing Irish adventure we have to start with the packing process.... As you can imagine, packing for six people for a week of international travel to a location that has a chance of rain nearly every day can be a bit daunting.  Luckily our previous years of travel have prepared me for this & while I wasn't 100% spot on with my packing, I'm getting pretty darn close!  We got it all in 3 suitcases (one large, one medium, one small) & 6 carry-on/ personal item bags!  I planned outfits for myself & hubby that had items that could mix & match / be re-worn.  For the kids it is hard to bank on re-wearing (due to children being innately messy) but I chanced it & planned on them re-wearing jeans but packed enough tops to account for spills & general messiness.  One sweatshirt & one light jacket for everyone, one pair of walking shoes, one pair of nicer shoes for dinner (we had a few dinners we were required to dress up for).  Evening clothes could easily be re-worn, so those were kept minimal.  Travel-size toiletries & entertainment for the plane in the carry-ons, as well as a few snacks (applesauce pouches, protein bars, almonds, packets of Shakeology) for travel & days around Dublin so we weren't always searching for snacks & settling for chips or sweets.

My carry-on

We had a smooth flight from BWI to Boston. We enjoyed a nice long lay-over in Boston - went out & enjoyed some of the sights with some great friends (shout out to Jaime & Rachel!!).  Then we boarded our over night flight to Dublin.  The kids wanted to watch movies & play games the entire flight, but we finally convinced them to get a little shut-eye so they wouldn't be totally exhausted during our first day in Dublin.  My hubby & I tried our best, but only got a little sleep on the flight.

Blurry-eyed but excited we arrived in Dublin & arrived at our hotel.  We broke the rules of "pushing through the jet lag" & took a little nap before going out to explore Dublin a bit.  We were happy to find that Dublin is a walking city & with a map in hand we were easily able to navigate.  We found a great little hole in the wall for lunch where we had omelets & salad - our bodies were still on eastern daylight time & we wanted breakfast food!

The next few days our adventures took us on trains, buses, and mainly on foot all around Dublin, the towns of Dalkey & Killiney, down to Blarney & County Cork, and even a trip to Belfast in Northern Ireland.  Rolling green hills, St. Patrick's Cathedral, St. Stephen's Green (the kids' favorite place), ancient castles, pebble beaches, beautiful vistas, a few pubs, the Guinness brewery, and lots of cows (Luke loved mooing at the cows!).  


A week of restaurant eating can be kind of rough, but we sought out the best options we could, did a little indulging (it was vacation after all!), and took full advantage of the buffet breakfast at our hotel every morning.  Between a nice healthy breakfast, snagging some fresh fruit to snack on through out the day,  & the healthy snacks we had brought with us we didn't do all too bad!  But I must say that the Guinness does taste a little better when in the mother land!

Our travels home were smooth & uneventful.  I read half of a personal development book, played a few games with the kids, & watched a few good movies.  It took a few days to get over the jet-lag & get back into a regular eating schedule, but it sure did feel good to have a home-cooked clean eating meal again!

***
We have barely sat still all summer long & I wouldn't have it any other way!  As a family we have visited my folks in Pittsburgh on several occasions, attended a family reunion in Ohio, visited friends, attended a family meeting for my hubby's company, & I attended the Team Beachbody Coach Summit.  

When I made the decision to stay home from my full-time teaching job to be with my kiddos I feared that we would have to cut back on these trips - even though it is a trip my hubby earns, there are still expenses involved, especially when you have a family of six.  Thankfully I have been able to help add to the family coffers with my Beachbody Coaching business.  We are able to continue the fun trips & adventures thanks, in part,  to my work-from-anywhere job.  


If you would like to learn more about helping people reach their health & fitness goals, setting your own hours, working from any corner of the world you wish to visit, and the opportunity to earn family fun money or achieve financial freedom....contact me about the coaching opportunity.  Read more and complete a coaching application here: http://jhrbekfitmommaoffour.blogspot.com/p/beachbody-coaching-opportunity.html




No comments:

Post a Comment