Tuesday, August 19, 2014

School Lunch Ideas


It's that time of year again & the question is....what the heck do I pack in my kids' lunch to take to school?  Something that will keep well in their little lunch box til lunch time rolls around, something they will enjoy, something that will fuel their body & mind for the rest of the school day.  

Here are a few of my kiddos lunch box favorites:
*whole wheat tortillas with all-natural peanut butter & juice sweetened fruit spread (we like Polaner's All-Fruit)

*homemade quesadilla - whole wheat tortilla with cheddar cheese melted inside (you can do this in a toaster oven)  My kids don't mind eating it cool.

*plain Greek yogurt with fresh berries

*cucumber slices & cheese slices - they stack them or make their own little cucumber sandwiches 

*low sodium / nitrate free ham or turkey lunch meat rolled up with provolone cheese

*homemade (in my handy dandy bread machine) whole wheat flax seed bread with almond butter & fresh strawberries

*apple & peanut butter sandwiches - cut an apple into rounds crosswise & use like the "bread" of the sandwich.  Put all-natural peanut butter (or almond butter, sunflower butter, soy nut butter) in the middle.  Get a little crazy & throw some raisins in there!

*Ants on a Log - celery with all-natural peanut butter & raisins on top

*Make-Your-Own "Lunchable" - whole grain crackers, cubes of real cheese, low sodium / nitrate free lunch meat or left over rotisserie chicken (my kids love that!)

**Always throw in some fresh fruits & veggies.  We generally go with whatever is in season as that is the freshest, best tasting, & most cost effective!!**

**My kids also love left-overs warmed up & put in their little thermos.  These are their favorite "left-over lunches."**





Healthy packed lunches shouldn't stop with the kiddos!  Any time I plan to be out of the house for the day & especially when I was still working outside of the home I always pack my lunch bag full of healthy foods for lunch & snacks for the day.  Fail to plan & you plan to fail!  

 








No comments:

Post a Comment