Thursday, April 10, 2014

Crockpot Quinoa with Turkey Sausage

During soccer season my crockpot is my BFF, providing us with yummy, low maintenance suppers. This dish was actually a happy accident.  I had intended for it to be a soup, but it turned out to be more of a casserole consistency.  It was thick, hearty, yummy, and HEALTHY!  My daughter scarfed hers down & asked for seconds.

Ingredients
-1 medium onion, sliced
-4 large carrots, sliced
-10 oz. frozen spinach
-1 lb. lean turkey sausage (I used sweet Italian sausage, but I think hot sausage would taste amazing as well.) - cut sausage into bite-size pieces 
-32 oz. reduced sodium chicken broth
-1 cup uncooked quinoa
-2 tsp. garlic powder
-1 Tbls. freshly ground black pepper
-1 Tbls. dried oregano
-1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
-a sprinkle of sea salt

Combine all ingredients EXCEPT QUINOA in your crockpot & cook on high for 3-4 hours.  Stir in quinoa, turn heat to low, & cook for 1 hour.

This made enough for us to have dinner for two nights.  Score!

So Easy & so Delicious!  Enjoy!

Click here for more family friendly clean eating recipes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment